Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Noja, Spain (elle)

I did not realize how much I loved Spain until I went back. Kara, Britt, Mary Margaret, Alexis, Jessica and I went to a small town outside of Santander, which is North Spain. I found this place and hotel, so I was really interested to see how it turned out...it ended up being perfect. The hotel was phenomenal. Sooo clean and on the beach!! We got there in the evening Thursday, so we went to dinner down the road next to a campsite. I stupidly asked for tap water and our waiter was like nooooo you can't drink that. DUH i had a parasite last summer from the tap water. I got to test out my spanish skills and they improved as the trip went on. Everyone that knows me knows i HATE to order/talk to waiters/ask receptionist questions etc. but this trip I had to do most of the talking haha.

The first night we met a guy named Diego and we ate at his restaurant. He told Zach all the good surf spots etc. The next day we met Bruno who turned out to be Diego's brother and we saw them off and on all weekend! Their family basically owned Noja. They were so sweet to us. It was nice to meet some genuinely caring people. If we stayed Sunday night they were going to throw us a party at their family house! Britt even cried when we said our goodbyes haha.

A lot of the people I went with had never been to Spain before and I told them that the experiences on this trip were the most cultural we could ask for. We ate traditional spanish meals....no jamon for me...and we saw a Flamenco show! Old spanish men taught Alexis and I how to properly dance. In the midst of dancing the restaurant cut the lights and everyone lit candles. Thennn they sang a song to a shrine of the Virgin Mary. It's hard to explain without it sounding creepy but it was really moving.

The song went like this: 
Dios te salve, Maria, 
del Rocio Senora, 
Luna, Sol, Norte, y Guia y pastora celestial. 
Ole, ole,ole,ole,ole, 
ole,ole,ole,ole
ole,ole,ole,ole
al Rocio yo quiero volver a cantarle a la Virgin con fe con un ole.

The night we went out was a traditional Spanish all-nighter. We ate dinner from 10-12:30 then went to the bars until 5. That is when we called it a night because we were exhausted and I took a bit of a tumble....I'm sad we didn't make it to the discotecha but it's good we got some much needed rest. OH I forgot a cap on my tooth fell out at dinner!! The bread was a little hard haha. This would happen to me. I called Bill & Beth at 5 am (my time) and drunkenly asked them to fly Dr. Von Zyl who is my dentist in Chattanooga over to Spain or I would settle for London. Wooooopsies.

Every single person I met were amazing. The cab driver who took us from the hotel back to the airport to leave was a precious old man who told us that his only daughter who died used to be great friends with Diego and Diego is now like his son. This tiny old man gave me the biggest hug and kisses on both cheeks when I got out of the cab. It was a great way to depart Spain, but getting on that plane was the last thing I wanted to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment