Monday, June 20, 2011

Time is Slipping Away (Kara)


            My time in Europe is flying by. I only have two weeks left of my internship, one week to explore more of London, two days in Paris, and I will be back home in Athens. I have loved traveling around Europe and taking advantage of what could possibly be my last true summer, but I sure will be ready to be home with my two sisters, parents, and dog.

            Work has become a lot more enjoyable (on some days;)). I have worked my way up the responsibility pole. It started with cutting and pasting as well as filing (I also did one press release, but was never asked to do another so I don’t include it on my stepping stones), then moved to stuffing and addressing envelops, next up to create an organized list in order to count the number press passes needed for a music festival we are doing PR for, and finally, last week I was able to take some press into my own hands. Nona Hendryx, a former member of LaBelle (the original singers of ‘Lady Marmalade’) came to London for three performances. Stuart, one of the senior publicists at our office, was too busy working on press for the music festival that I was asked to write an email to send to different media publications pitching interviews and press featuring Nona Hendryx. They even made me (DRUM ROLL PLEASE) my own email address for the company: kara@9pr.co.uk. I told everyone about my new email address when I got home that day because I felt so professional only to discover that for most interns this privilege was given to them on Day 1 of work. Oh well, I finally felt like I contributed to the company as best I could. I set up 3 interviews for one day as well as created an Excel spreadsheet displaying Nona’s schedule. I was proud of myself.

            This week, since Nona has left Europe for the States, has started slow once again. I have made better friends with my co-workers (which is of course nice for me considering I cannot shut-up). I even attended a “gig” with them one night and enjoyed the band we went to see. This opened a new realm of future possibilities in my head and pushed me to realize everything truly does happen for a reason.

            I am off to work today, and if you are lucky my Spain blog may be posted by this afternoon (if I am not handed any “bitch work” such as cleaning the dishes, which recently has been my critical duty in the office).

P.S. Happy happy Father’s day to every amazing father out there! Especially Papa Bill, Grandaddy, and my own dad (who deserves the entire world and more for all he has done for me and I will be eternally grateful!) Love you all so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment